What I'm Looking For & Not Looking
You must be a very organized person: you’ll be getting different tasks thrown onto your lap, and you must be able to make sure everything gets completed, and prioritize. The right person will make sure that things don’t fall through the cracks.
My coach Dan Sullivan said he basically divides everyone into one of two categories:
1) Those that have their own energy source (those with batteries)
2) Those that are dependent on others for their energy (those without batteries)
Some may not like it, but based on his decades (40 years) working in both entrepreneurial and corporate settings, I’d say he’s metaphor is spot-on.
You probably know what that’s like. Almost every work environment has a couple (or more) people who drain the team members around them. Not my company.
I am willing to help people without batteries, but I am not willing to hire them. I don’t have time, or energy to deal with people without batteries.
I want everyone in my organization to have their own super-charged-long-lasting battery pack.
If they don’t, they just deplete everyone else. And I fire them. I let them go. I kick them off my company. In last 5 years I’ve done that 5 times ONLY.
I want my people working to grow my business and reach their potential—not wasting energy making up for someone’s character deficit
Personally I work long hours, and I need someone close by for most of that time who can help implement my ideas.
What You Will Be Doing
They will range. Don’t complain, just do. That’s the sorta attitude i want and need.
Some typical tasks you might do in a day (note: you don’t need to know how to do all of these just yet, but must be willing to learn):
- Tweak some emails to our autoresponder follow up sequence, write some new ones.
- Split test 3 different lead capture pages, add in retargeting, lead-scoring, excel-stuff.
- Convert a powerpoint presentation into keynote, and dress up the presentation with a new format, you must have an eye for design
- Tweak some copy on an order page, landing page, pages that my team set up.
- Take a written sales letter, and, format it onto some keynote slides, ready to be recorded and turned into a sales video.
- Make a ‘how to’ video in Screenflow / Jing / Camtasia showing our customers how to navigate the backoffice for some new products
- Take notes, compile action notes from my content and re-purpose them
… and much, much more. No two days will ever be the same.
There could also be tasks completely unrelated to marketing – like researching resorts we can go to in US / Asia / Canada / Europe … or picking up the phone and calling a customer, to collect an order, booking hotels and holidays for me. I travel alot, so I need someone that can do all the small stuff that my team or I cannot always do.
For this role, you need to be wide open to what kind of tasks I throw your way. You need to embrace them with a sense of enthusiasm, excitement and ready for the challenge.
A “I’ll do WHATEVER IT TAKES” attitude is required here.
- Basic wordpress skills are necessary
- You must be able to work well as a team
- Basic sales copy skills are a plus
- You need to have a strong eye for attention to detail (this is really important)
- Ability to multi-task on multiple projects at once
- Organized and detailed orientated
- Understanding of Google Docs, including documents and spreadsheet
- Excellent written skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work with and help our team members
You need to be a hard working, self starter, who is coachable, dependable, determined, driven, accountable, tech savvy, and naturally obsessed with details.
1. Intermediate knowledge of internet marketing, tracking, conversions, sales funnels, sales copy, upsells etc.
2. Intermediate knowledge of some of the tools we use… like WordPress, Optimize Press, auto responders, etc.
3. Intermediate knowledge of ad creation, ad placement and ad management (i.e. banners, ppc, solo ads etc).
Optional Skills (Not required, but a plus)
– Basic HTML / coding ability
– A great eye for design
Compensation and Getting Paid
This will depend largely on your skill level, and how valuable you are in this role. For the right person, compensation could be significant. For the wrong person, well, you won’t be on my team.
If you’re starting out with fewer skills and learning as you go, compensation is going to be lower. We’ll be able to work out something fair. I like to give amazing, generous bonuses.
The right person for this role will also deeply value the learning experience. This is the kind of role where you’ll really develop your marketing skills and talents, and then be able to use them later in life to build your own company.
My goal is if you qualify, and are the right person to work for me, you WILL make more money with me than you’ve ever made in your life working for anyone else.
You will learn more than you’ve ever thought possible. You’ll become part of my family.
For an aspiring internet marketer, think of this as an apprenticeship, where you’re being taken under the wing of someone who truly knows the business.
There is absolutely no substitute for this from a learning experience (in 2010 when I had little business results, I was given this opportunity by million dollar marketer, a much more experienced marketer, and it changed my life – Millionaire Mentorship changed my life).
I’m not everyone’s cup of tea, actually I’m a fucking nightmare to work for, to work with, so you’ll need EXTRA thick skin.You’ll be required, expected to work your ass off. Long days. Long nights. The whole shebang.
I have very little room in my life for negative, energy draining people. I hire slowly and will let people go fast, if I think that they don’t “have it”.
You’ll become part of my family and my family is awesome.
How To Apply For This Position:
If you’re interested in the position, please make a video and tell me why you’d be a great fit for the role. Feel free to be as creative as possible in your video (eg. you might go show me some of your marketing).
Tell me about your experience, your biggest strengths, and why you want to be a part of our team.
Please keep it under 5 minutes. We will only review applications that have a video (and I personally watch every single one of them)